A while back I started looking for a device to record behind the scenes footage of some of my shoots. Little did I know that I would enjoy making short films with it. The Flip is a great little device for traveling light. It lives up to the hype as one of the easiest video cameras to operate. The included software turns my Mac (works on PCs too) into one of the easiest production studios to operate.
I got mine here.
Things I like:
- It is SUPER easy to use. It has 5 buttons, the big red one in the middle starts and stops the recording. Pretty simple!
- You can take it anywhere.
- Ergonomics – It is more natural to hold than a Point-n-Shoot camera while filming.
- It has a tripod mount. Hook it up to a small Gorilla-Pod and your videos are ready for the silver screen.
- It is High Definition (HD)! The video quality is incredible.
- The battery lasts quite a while.
- I think it records almost 2 hours of HD video. You might not think that is a long time, but when you are recording quick 10-20 sec clips, that is a whole lot of clips.
- The supplied software has a cool feature called â€˜Magic Movieâ€™. All you do is download the clips, order them, then hit the ‘Magic Movie’ button. The computer magically chooses some cool highlight from the clips, edits them together, and adds some music….Viola!
- The supplied software let’s you share your video with Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube with a click of a button. It also provides a way to put your movie on a DVD.
Things to note:
- In my videos, I rarely use the recorded sound. I normally film clips, then using the editing software supplied with the camera, add a sound track. Yes the camera does record sound, but I just don’t use it. I prefer making music videos.
I got mine here.
Here are a couple of videos I made using the Flip Mino HD and the software supplied with he camera. All capture and editing was done with what you get when you buy the camera. Nothing else!